European pressed cheese can be grouped as follows:
- Extra hard types such as Parmesan, Grana and Sbrinz, i.e. cheeses with a low moisture content - approximately 33% - which are primarily used grated for cooking
- Hard types such as Gruyere and Emmental
- Semi-hard types such as Gouda, Edam, Swiss and Tilsit which in volume constitute the largest part of the EPC types.
Whatever the end-product, the manufacture of speciality and European pressed cheese involves the following main process stages:
- Milk treatment
- Starter culture addition
- Curd making
- Finishing and storage
Process Diagram and Benefits
- SPX FLOW's global experience as a supplier of processing technology and equipment for cheese products is a key factor in our ability to deliver cost-effective solutions tailored to individual customer requirements.
- SPX FLOW offers substantial range of resources to the dairy industry in process engineering, equipment manufacturing, project management - for both large and small projects - and world-class development facilities.
- The design of APV CurdMaster cheese vat is based on simple, fundamental principles : the excellent flowpattern an OO type cheese vat provides and the optimum cutting, stirring and emptying conditions due to the combination of a flat bottom and a double outlet. Whether the product is soft curd Feta, hard types of Emmental or other high-quality cheese types the CurdMaster will provide the best result
- The APV OPD batch pre-press is designed for draining, pressing and cutting curd into blocks for the production of semi-soft, semi-hard and hard cheeses. It is designed for both production of round-holedcheeses (Gouda types) and for cheeses with irregular holes (Tilsit types). The OPD pre-press has an extremely flexible block cutting system which is able to cut blocks for 1 kg cheeses up to 35kg
- The APV SaniPress System is a highly flexible and hygienic pressing system for the final pressing of the cheeses. The SaniPress System is designed for a wide variety of cheese types and very flexible regarding cheese size and shape. The SaniPress System can be provided with post-acidification facilities and integrated mould storage systems. Whey is collected from the SaniPress System during production, and the entire system is CIP cleanable.
- Our comprehensive range of cheese brining systems is designed to provide for the requirements of both high and medium capacity production facilities. In addition, customised solutions can be provided for specific customer requirements.
- Efficient sanitation of brine is essential to prevent post-contamination of cheeses. SPX FLOW offers both thermal and microfiltration processes to control the presence of pathogenic bacteria.
- Our range of product recovery and waste reduction processes are designed to reduce effluent costs and minimise loss of valuable product. They include:
- Flotation plant for pre-treatment of dairy effluent
- Special clean-in-place (CIP) software programs to minimise drainage and water usage
- Membrane concentration systems for recovery of product/water mixes for recycling or sale
- Optimisation ofplant layout at the design stage - i.e. built-in waste reduction
- Automation software and instrumentation for accurate monitoring and control