Gelatine is obtained from collagen, which is the major protein constituent of animal skin, bone, sinew and connective tissue.
Main users of gelatine are:
- Pharmaceutical industry - for manufacture of capsules, suppositories
- Brewing, wine and cider industries - as a clarifying agent
- Food and confectionery - table jellies, pastilles, nougat, Turkish Delight, liquorice sweets
- Industrial - paper, photography, abrasives, paint, printers copying materials
- Meat products - meat pies, canned meats, brawn, jellied meats
The term "gelatine" therefore applies to a wide variety of products and this results in variable gelatine specifications to suit the particular needs of each industry. The main processing steps in the manufacture of gelatine are:
- Concentration in two steps
- Cooling using a tubular or plate heat exchanger
- Setting and drying
This in-depth knowledge and active involvement in the development of the world's gelatine industry, combined with proven experience in project management of major capital projects, makes SPX FLOW the ideal partner for the design and installation of state-of-the-art gelatine processing equipment.